My Heroes have always been Police Officers...

Hero is a big word. Being a Hero requires sacrifice. Requires selfishness. Requires courage. Not bravado but real courage. The kind of courage where every cell in your body says danger is around the corner and you walk around the corner anyways; because that is who you are. A Hero.

I was blessed to grow up with two of these heroes. My Dad, Michael Meek, who sacrificed time with his family and time for himself in the service of others and my Uncle, Richard W. Smith Jr., who sacrificed time with his family, time for himself and eventually his life in the service of others. Tomorrow is Uncle Ricky's birthday and he should celebrating with his family but his path altered when a mentally disturbed man broke from reality and my Uncle, along with his partner, took up the call to help him.

These HeroCakePops are dedicated to every man and woman who wakes up every day and leaves their family to try and keep the madness of the angry, cruel, hurtful and malicious from reaching us all. Thank you.

These HeroCakePops are dedicated to all the families sitting at home hoping the phone never rings...

Happy Birthday Uncle Ricky. I miss you. I love you.



Richard W. Smith Jr. . Son, Husband, Father, Uncle, Friend.
Albuquerque Police Department
New Mexico
End of Watch
: Thursday, August 18, 2005
Age: 46
Tour of Duty: 22 years
Badge Number: 193
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Thursday, August 18, 2005
Weapon Used: Gun
Suspect Info: Charged with five counts of murder
 

To start your hero pops you need to find the right mix of color.
I used edible disco dust.



The heart chocolate molds I bought where I buy
almost all my baking supplies at : Candy Mold Central
I made the uniform following Bakerella's instructions for the
Groom on page 79 of Cake Pops. I just changed the black to blue
and added a long tie instead of a bow tie.
 



The background is a pretty blue square paper I found in Michael's in the
scrap booking section. It was on sale for 79 cents.
 


The handcuff case is my Dad's first case he carried on his duty belt.
He sent to me when I was required to carry handcuffs in my current job
along with his first pair handcuffs used on the job.
 


Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God.
Matthew 5:9
 


"Who Cries For The COP "

Who cries for the COP...
Walking his beat.
Down a mean street..
Where violent men hold sway..
Where life is cheap...
And Death doth keep..
His tally day by day..
Who cried for the cop..
When assault is made..
With flashing blade..
And guns that shatter the night..
And scanners sound...
Of "Officer down !"
Tells of his helpless plight...
Who cries for the cop...
When ambulance wail.
Tells a mournful tale...
Bringing tears to a widow's eyes...
Who gives a damn..
When triggers slam...
And a brave policemen dies?
Who cries for the cop...
With bloodstained shield...
As life doth yield...
And his labored heartbeats stop?
Tell me true... I'm asking YOU...
Who cares ?
Who cries for the COP?
Written by:

Thomas Cannon
.
 







and since we are on the subject of Heroes I will show a sneak peak at what I am working on for the next post:

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your uncle. It is so tragic to lose a family member so unjustly. I admire all these people who do this job and their families for enduring all this agony for their beloved ones day in day out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you very much for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, these are so creative!

    ReplyDelete